Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Things that make you go hmmmmmm

Have you ever just stopped to think about how much we consume in an effort to feel enough?  Like, we need the right clothes, we need the right cars, we need the right knick-knacks, but why?  Why do we "need" these things?  Why should I spend $20 on a bowl that's pretty, when a $5 one is just as functional?  Why do we feel it necessary to surround ourselves with beautiful things, when if you just look out the window you're already surrounded by beauty?  Corporations spend millions trying to get inside our heads to make us feel when we buy, so that when we're done buying we feel bad, so we can spend more to feel good again, lather rinse repeat.  Well, I want off that ride thankyouverymuch!  The Husband and I have taken it upon ourselves to limit our intake while simultaneously reducing the amount of "stuff" in our home.  It's so liberating.  It's like giving a big eff you to the corporations that have only their pocketbook in mind, not mine.  No more!  Reevaluating a need from a want is hard.  It's really really hard.  I don't like it, I don't like sacrifice, I'm a typical American with an unhealthy expectation of immediate gratification, but I don't want to be anymore.  So, with that being said, I'd like to refer you to one of my absolute favorite blogs at the moment.  Please enjoy!

http://theyearofless.blogspot.de/

No comments: